- Amethyst is the birthstone for February and celebrates the 6th and 17th year of marriage.
- The name comes from the Ancient Greek, derived from the word “methustos” which means “intoxicated”.
- The gem is composed of quartz which is the second most abundant material found in the Earth’s crust.
- Ancient wearers believed the gemstone could protect them from drunkenness.
- Leanardo da Vinci once said the amethyst helps to quicken intelligence and get rid of evil thoughts.
- It is said the Saint Valentine had an amethyst ring carved with an image of a Cupid.
Credit: American Gem Society
#Amethyst #Birthstone #GemFacts #Anniversary