1. The mineral pyrite has a similar appearance to gold has its nickname fool’s gold.
2. China has recently surpassed South Africa as the biggest producer of gold.
3. The largest gold nugget was found in Australia and weighed over 200 pounds.
4. Karat is the measurement used for how much solid gold is in an item. If an item is 100% gold, then it is 24 karat.
5. Pure gold is always yellow. Rose gold has been combined with copper.
6. It is believed that only about 20% of the earth gold has been discovered.
7. Western jewelry is typically 14 karat versus jewelry from South Asia which is usually 22 karat.
8. American brides receive gold and diamonds 75% of the time.
9. Astronaut’s visors on their helmets receive a coating of gold to reduce glare and heat from the sun.
10. The world’s largest accumulation of monetary gold is located at the Federal Reserve Bank in New York.
An anniversary is a special occasion to celebrate one’s love for their spouse. Each anniversary can be represented by a gift of gemstone or special symbol signifying the years of marriage. D’Elegante can help you choose just the right gemstone or gift to celebrate your special occasion.
The word “garnet” comes from the 14th century Middle English word “gernet” meaning dark red. The word is derived from Latin “granatum” which means seed and is called so because of the gemstone’s resemblance to the beautifully red seeds of the pomegranate.
Garnets are the birthstone for January and gemstone for the 2nd year anniversary.
Garnets are said to bring peace, prosperity and good health to a home.
Birthstones are traditionally associated with a month of the year. The origin of birthstones is believed to date back to the breastplate of Aaron which contained twelve gemstones representing the twelve tribes of Israel. The current list dates back to 1912 with only one addition since then – The tanzanite was added to December.
There are numerous legends and myths about birthstone healing power and their therapeutic influence. According to these legends, wearing a gemstone during its assigned month heightened its healing powers. For the full effect, individuals needed to own all twelve and alternate them monthly.
January – Garnet
February – Amethyst
March – Aquamarine and Bloodstone
April – Diamond
May – Emerald
June – Pearl, Alexandrite and Moonstone
July – Ruby
August – Peridot, Sardonyx and Spinel
September – Sapphire
October – Opal and Tourmaline
November – Topaz and Citrine
December – Tanzanite, Zircon and Turquoise